Inspired by remarkable true life rescue missions, THE RED SEA DIVING RESORT is the incredible story of a group of international agents and brave Ethiopians who in the early 80s used a deserted holiday retreat in Sudan as a front to smuggle thousands of refugees to Israel. The undercover team carrying out this mission is led by the charismatic Ari Kidron (Chris Evans) and courageous local Kabede Bimro (Michael Kenneth Williams). The prestigious cast also includes Haley Bennett, Alessandro Nivola, Michiel Huisman, Chris Chalk, Greg Kinnear and Ben Kingsley.
- THE RED SEA DIVING RESORT was written and directed by Emmy Award winner Gideon Raff (“Homeland”, “Prisoners of War”, Netflix’s upcoming “The Spy”).
- As Gideon Raff explains: “This was a very unique mission, one that was only declassified a few years ago. The Mossad agents operating in Sudan needed a cover for being in country for as long as the operation lasted, and that’s how the crazy idea of leasing and operating a hotel on the coast of the Red Sea was hatched. Israel had to send operatives that had more than one nationality, people who could “pass” as non Israeli, who were fluent in other cultures and languages, and indeed the agents that were sent could pass as German, South American, Australian, Maltese… Nothing could point to them being Israeli or Jewish. In Sudan they were not allowed to speak Hebrew, only English.”
- The Ethiopian community was as active as the Mossad in rescuing their community, they were true partners in this operation: “This is why it was very important for me to cast actors from the Ethiopian community in the movie,” says Raff. “These are not just incredible actors who are participating in a movie, these are people telling the story of their lives.”
- For thousands of years, Ethiopian Jews yearned to migrate to Jerusalem. The film is inspired by the courageous efforts to fulfill that dream. According to Raff, “This is the story of a family, long separated, coming together, an example of how much better the world is when people reach out a helping hand.”
- The style of THE RED SEA DIVING RESORT transports audiences to a different time and place, capturing the style of the early 80s.
- THE RED SEA DIVING RESORT cast includes Chris Evans (AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA, BEFORE WE GO), Michael Kenneth Williams (“The Wire” ASSASSIN’S CREED), Michiel Huisman (“The Haunting of Hill House”, THE AGE OF ADALINE, THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY), Alessandro Nivola (THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE), Haley Bennett (GIRL ON THE TRAIN, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN), Greg Kinnear (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, ANCHORMAN 2), and Academy Award Winner Ben Kingsley (OPERATION FINALE, SCHINDLER’S LIST).
- The film is produced by Aaron L. Gilbert (THE MULE, TULLY, FENCES), Alexandra Milchan (THE SILENCE, PARANOIA) and Gideon Raff (“Homeland”, “Prisoners of War”, Netflix’s upcoming “The Spy”).